Sunday, July 4, 2010

Featured Artist of the Month: Suzanne Demeules

Featured Artist of the Month: Suzanne Demeules

What kind of mosaics do you make?
All different kinds right now. I'd like to experiment with contemporary next.

When did you start making mosaics?
I took a class with Sheryl Tourila about 6 years ago. Did not do anything after that but always wanted to. Since then about a little over a year ago I took Sharra Frank's glass on glass and have been working on mosaics ever since.

How did you get into mosaics?
Years ago I was looking for some kind of artistic outlet and picked up a Martin Cheek mosaic book and loved the colors and textures. I always wanted to do it but did not have the time or space. Now I do! (At least a little more time)

What inspires you?
Colors in nature, contemporary artists, going to museums and taking classes keeps me motivated.

How did you develop your style?
I'm finding I love movement and color so I'm still exploring with that concept.

How did you learn to make mosaics?
It's been developing over time. Years of taking art classes at Minnetonka center for the Arts. Also I dabbled in needlepoint because of the texture and colors, and finally coming to the medium I like the most-mosaics!

How do you work best?
In my studio with no one around and MPR on. It's such a peaceful environment to work in.

How do you approach a mosaic?
I make a sketch then several copies of that sketch. From there I try different colors using colored pencils. I then make it to the size I want by either taking it to a photo shop or using a overhead projector. I then trace it on my substrate and go from there. (I have not made that many but the last few I have used this technique and it's worked well)

What do you do with your mosaics once you finish?
A few are in my studio some are around our home. (I'm still building up stock of finished pieces)

What have you learned?
I have learned a little more about time management and how important it is to set a routine.

How do you fit mosaics into your personal/family life?
I'm still struggling with this since I have two teenagers that are busy in all sorts of things that I make it a priority to attend and help with. During the school year I have a routine of working from 10am-2:00pm.

Where do you work?
I have a studio above an unattached garage on our property. We just finished this space last summer.

What is your favorite thing about working with mosaics?
The design process. It's funny that when you're in the "mosaic frame of mind" you can get inspired by the oddest things.

Have you ever done public art, community art, worked with children, etc...?
Not yet but would love to be part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment