Sunday, July 4, 2010

Featured Artist of the Month: Julie Reeve

Featured Artist of the Month: Julie Reeve

Name: Julie Reeve

Website: www.mnartists.org/Julie_Reeve

Email: jareeve@isd.net

What kind of mosaics do you make?
I tend to use two materials consistently; stained glass and beads but use other materials as well. I don't have a studio space so that limits the size I'm able to comfortably work on.

How did you get into mosaics?
I took a community Education class taught by Sharra Frank in 2005. We made a small bird bath. It was the first time I had taken a class where all the projects turned out great. I attribute it to Sharra's teaching that everyone's project turned out. So when I saw Sharra teaching a class the next year I took it. I highly recommend Sharra as a teacher. When my Father died it all changed. I went from makings flower pots to making art. My life felt out of control and placing the random bits and pieces into order and creating something beautiful was therapy for me.

What inspires you?
I'm inspired by nature, color, members of the MMG and other artists.

How did you develop your style?
I work at painting in watercolor and that has taught me to edit and has given me more confidence with composition. I also have worked a little with mirrors and etching on the mirror. I like the way mirrors put the viewer into the composition.

How do you work best?
I carry a sketchbook with me just about all the time. I do little sketches of subjects that are interesting to me. I also tape things in it like a scrapbook. I can refer to the book when I need an idea. I had half of my deck enclosed and store material and work there in the summer. It's not a three season porch more like one long season. For the other long season I pretty much work on my lap. I work in the evenings and have a tendency to stay up to late. I do all of my grouting at work.

What do you do with your mosaics once you finish?
Lori Greene and Maria Ricke have been very supportive of my work and have encouraged me to display my mosaics at Mosaic on a Stick. I'm finding it's not enough to have a talent. You also need a talent for using your talent. I try to take advantage of the opportunities that are available through MMG for showing my mosaics.

What have you learned?
I need to be more organized.
I would love to have a studio that I could work year round in.
Keep a sketch book handy.
Set goals.

Where do you work?
I have a sign business, Main Event Signs with my sister Jeanne Jensen. We have a lot of the same interest but mosaic isn't one of them.










No comments:

Post a Comment